Sunday 8 March 2015

The Riding House Cafe, London

 

I have a real affinity with London. My dad is a thoroughbred Cockney being raised in the Elephant & Castle and although Welsh and very much used to a slower pace of life, I sometimes feel the excitement of the city pulling me in.
 
I hadn't been to London for years (holds head in shame), so I felt a trip was well beyond due. Booking some cheap tickets on a ridiculously early train my sister J and I headed off with the agenda of great food, Topshop and vintage shopping in Camden.
 

 
Getting into Euston before anything had actually opened we had our plan straight: go for a great breakfast and hit Topshop before the Saturday madness set in.
 
I'd heard great things about The Riding House Café which is situated in prime location just off Oxford Street on Great Titchfield Street so thought we'd give it a go.
 

 
Hungry and cold we found the Café and were welcomed and seated promptly. As soon as I sat down I knew that The RHC was going to be my kind of place. The décor was just up my street, very industrial chic I loved the metal tables, elegant bar area and quirky table and seats that ran through the centre of the restaurant.
 
Another good sign was that it was very busy considering it was only 9am and the staff were very efficient and friendly.
 

 
The menu is great with a good selection of all the breakfast favourites and some killer juices and smoothies. While J opted for a pot of English Breakfast tea to warm her up I couldn't resist a 'Yellow Jersey' Smoothie: a blend of Pineapple, Banana, Almond Milk, Yoghurt and Vanilla. It cam served in a quirky milk bottle and was smooth and rich, yum.
 
 
 I deliberated for a fair while before opting for Avacado on Toast with a side of streaky Bacon. The Avotoast was delicious, creamy and really well seasoned with a hint of chilli. The bacon however was a disappointment, very fatty and soggy.
 

 
J was the clear winner of that ancient 'did I order the right thing' conundrum going for the Buttermilk Pancakes, served with Clotted Cream, Mixed Berries & Maple Syrup.
 
I was green with envy (no pun intended) when they arrived. Luckily while light and fluffy they were deceptively filling and she let me try one of hers! Sisterly love and all that.
 
The RHC Pancakes are some of the best I've ever had. I need to get the recipe. If I ever have the opportunity to go again I will definitely order them next time.
 


 
Full, happy and ready for some serious shopping we headed off to hit the delight that is Topshop, Oxford Street. I couldn't help taking some pics on the way down. How beautiful and unusual is this building?! I want to live here.
 
Do you have any great tips for Breakfast/Brunch in London? I would put the RHC up there as one of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment