Thursday 12 March 2015

Camden Town


I've always wanted to go to Camden but for some unknown reason I've never managed to make it there on my many trips to London. So when I went for a day trip a couple of weeks ago I put it at the top of my agenda (albeit after Topshop)!


 
I'd heard about the great atmosphere in Camden along with the wealth of vintage clothing stores in the Stables Market and Street food in the Locks Market and I was sold. After a hearty breakfast at the Riding House Cafe and mini splurge at Topshop my sister and I jumped on the tube to Chalk Farm and hit the Stables Market first.



 
 

 
I was blown away by this market. There were great vintage stores and the most amazing hat shop where I purchased a much wanted black visor ready for my holiday in May. The buildings the stores are housed in are beautiful also with many ornate Moroccan style doors on show.

 
I was sporting a rather fetching Disney pom pom Minney Mouse headband, very similar to what a twelve year old may wear, and it got quite a lot of attention. One eccentric gent even commented that I looked like an erotic model in my Disney meets Will.I.Am mash-up! Though the highlight of the day was when I went into Cyberdog and my pom pom's lit up like a Christmas tree much to my shock. I wish I had a picture to share this moment but alas I don't.



Anyway back to Camden. After perusing the Stables we headed over to the Locks to sample some of the promised street food. We both opted for Cronut's which we'd never tried before. A Cronut if your uaware of the New York born phenomenon is a cross between a Donught and Croissant and I'm sad to report that it was utterly disgusting. My advice would be to stick to one or the other as the texture is odd and the taste bland.

The Locks have a great vibe and a fantastic selection of food from all over the world. The smells, people and energy are just amazing. I loved the markets and will definitely be returning again.

 
We were going to hit nearby Hache for one of their renowned Burgers but the Cronut had finished us both of so we headed to The Worlds End for a pint and to rest our weary feet. The Worlds End is a bit of a Camden institution or so my Dad tells me. It also inspired the Simon Pegg & Edgar write film of the same title and was where the pair used to drink when filming the sitcom 'Spaced'.

If your in Camden and you like your pubs stuffed with character and playing a heavy rock soundtrack you should check it out. I loved this place although being London it was on the pricey side.

 

 
After a day full of shopping and food we jumped on the tube to The Tate, possibly my favourite place in the world, second only to The Pompidou in Paris. I loved Camden, the atmosphere and people were amazing and I've pledged to go back and stay the night hopefully seeing some live music in The Roundhouse or Underworld.

Does anyone have any tips of where to go in Camden that I might not have experienced yet? I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment