Wednesday 4 February 2015

The Gang by Catherine Opie


 
Photography has always fascinated me with photographers like Annie Lebovitz really inspiring me but recently I've become really interested in the art form.
 
I love The Walker in Liverpool and noticed that there was an photography exhibition on called The Gang by Catherine Opie. Pledging to visit more photography exhibitions and discover others work I decided to go down and check it out last weekend.
 
 
The exhibition explores specific archetypes and features portraits of Catherine's friends from 'the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and queer community'.
 

 
It never fails to amaze me how powerful and beautiful capturing an image on camera can be. I love how the photographer took the majority of the shots in black and white to keep the focus on the actual image and not distract the viewer.
 

 
The images were very sexual and often quite dark. The kind of confrontational visual that I find fascinating and love to look at but one that many will shy away from. I find it baffling that in this day and age people are still afraid to understand people from the GLB&T community. I noticed quite a few parents shooing their children through the exhibition so as to avoid the embarrassment of seeing an image of a naked body!
 

 
I'm sure they were more than happy to let their kids see the portraits of classic nudes over in the 13th - 19th Century section of the gallery.
 
We have such issues with nudity in our stiff upper lipped British culture and this is no doubt the reason why young adults have so many issues with their bodies. Add to this the fact that a lot of children are sheltered from people of a different sexual orientation and it creates massive social issues later on in life.
 
I thought the exhibition was a real eye opener and would happily take Riley along to see it. Sorry massive rant there but that's my perspective on a very important issue I fell passionate about.
 
If you want to check it out it's on in The Walker till 15th February before an equally exciting exhibition 'Only in England' takes over. If you go remember to donate and keep art free for all!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment